FreeBSD and SSD drives

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Sun Feb 13 19:29:20 UTC 2011

Quoth Bruce Cran on Sunday, 13 February 2011:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 09:42:54 -0700
> Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
>
> > There's no use pretending MS Windows never has issues with the
> > efficacy of its autoconfiguration.  Most of us have used that OS
> > quite a lot, and know that problems arise -- and that, unlike with
> > open source OSes, it's actually fairly common to have no recourse at
> > all when something does not work.
>
> A good example is the need to edit the registry to improve network
> performance - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321098 . Another is that
> in order to disable auto-run you need to know to type "gpedit.msc" in
> the "Run" window to load the Group Policy Editor and navigate to the
> settings.
>
> --
> Bruce Cran

You've touched on the basic philosophical difference between the
Microsoft and Unix approaches.  The former seeks to make usual activities
easy and obvious, at the expense of making unusual activities downright
difficult or impossible.  Unfortunately, one person's unusual is
another's everyday.  The latter (Unix), OTOH, seeks greater consistency
of interface, at the expense of a significant user learning experience
just to get started.  Personally, I prefer the latter, because that
learning builds on itself and generates enormous power to overcome
further obstacles and create new things.  But for users who do not wish
to learn anything and who want to use their computer the same way they use
their DVD player or their electric toothbrush, the Microsoft Way fits the
bill.

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://chipsquips.com  | http://camdensoftware.com   | http://chipstips.com