Stuck

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Sun Feb 13 18:42:17 UTC 2011

Quoth illoai at gmail.com on Sunday, 13 February 2011:
> On 13 February 2011 13:53, Rem P Roberti <remegius at comcast.net> wrote:

> >>        Start with this:
> >>
> >>        du -x / | sort -nr | head -n 30
> >>
> >>        This will give you the largest directories; if any of them
> >> don't look right - investigate further.
> >>        (For comparison: the root directory on this machine is 2
> >> gbytes, of which I use 1.1.  10 gbytes is a lot of space
> >
> > I completely misspoke, having confused the hard drive in question with
> > another box. This drive is a 40G drive, of which 500MB was allotted for
> > root.  When I ran your command I noticed the /boot/kernel.old was very
> > large, so I moved the whole thing over to my home directory, which finally
> > allowed me to boot the computer normally.  This was an intuitive move, and
> > probably not that kosher, but it worked.  But where do we go from here?
> >

> Remove all the *.symbols files (if you're not going
> to be debugging).
>
> Build with "makeoptions DEBUG=-g" commented out
> of your kernel config.
>
> (my root filesystem has 70M used. On amd64, no less)

I have INSTALL_NODEBUG=yes in my make.conf, which someone on this list
advised.  Apparently that still builds the symbols but doesn't install
them in /boot/kernel, saving a ton of space.  This will prevent you
running into this same problem the next time you build.

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://chipsquips.com  | http://camdensoftware.com   | http://chipstips.com