Portupgrade and "Updating the portsdb"

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 02:00:04 UTC 2011

On 10 February 2011 08:33, c0re <nr1c0re at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I've got set of servers that uses NFS mounted /usr/ports. When I use
> "portupgrade samba" on 1st server it says
> [/usr/ports/INDEX-7.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid
> argument] [Updating the portsdb <format:bdb_btree> in /usr/ports ... -
> 22601 port entries found  error] Remove and try again.
> [Updating the portsdb <format:dbm_hash> in /usr/ports ... - 22601 port
> entries found .....
> ..... done]
>
> Okay. It took 10-15 mins to rebuild.
>
> Then I say "portupgrade samba" on 2nd server it says again
> [/usr/ports/INDEX-7.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid
> argument] [Updating the portsdb <format:bdb_btree> in /usr/ports ... -
> 22601 port entries found  error] Remove and try again.
> and rebuild portsdb.
>
> Why is it so?
>
> Ports are updated via "portsnap fetch update".
>
> /etc/portsnap.conf has
> INDEX INDEX-5 DESCRIBE.5
> INDEX INDEX-6 DESCRIBE.6
> INDEX INDEX-7 DESCRIBE.7
> INDEX INDEX-8 DESCRIBE.8
>
> So while portupgrade rebuilds portsdb it's not possible use
> portupgrade on 2nd server because later build process will fail on 1st
> or second server.
>
> What can I do with it? Why portupgrade always thinks that
> [/usr/ports/INDEX-7.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid
> argument]?

The INDEX-n.db is a locally generated portupgrade thing.

Edit your /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf for each machine to
include a line such as:
ENV['PORTS_INDEX'] ||= ENV['PORTSDIR'] + '/INDEX.local'

Only instead of '/INDEX.local' use '/INDEX.your_hostname_here'.

You might also look at changing the part ENV['PORTSDIR'] to
something local (speed, etc), like adding a line up from that:
ENV['LOCALINDICES'] ||= '/var/db'

then

ENV['PORTS_INDEX'] ||= ENV['LOCALINDICES'] + '/INDEX.thy_hostname_here'

Also, if you have local space, settin' WRKDIRPREFIX= in
/etc/make.conf will speed things up & allow multiple machines
to build at the same time.

HTH