[RELEASE] host-setup(1): a dialog(1)-based utility for configuring FreeBSD

Devin Teske dteske at vicor.com
Fri Feb 11 03:53:45 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I'd like to announce the release of a new script. A script that I've
developed for our field engineers that I'd like to share with the rest
of the world.

http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/download/host-setup.txt

host-setup(1) is a dialog(1)-based utility (written in sh(1)) designed
to make configuring FreeBSD more efficient.

We have this script configured to be run as root's initial login
immediately after "first-boot". The field engineer uses our custom
installer to install RELENG_8, and after the machine presents a login
prompt, they login with the pre-configured root password. After which
they are presented with this dialog (image attached:
host-setup.pub.png).

The dialogs should all be intuitive, and I hope that you like my work.
I've worked very hard to make this utility smooth, robust,
fault-tolerant and even enjoyable to use. Not only that, but it helps
prevents mistakes that could arise in doing these steps by-hand (like
forgetting to unmount active NFS-mounts before executing "route flush").

Please give it a try and let me know what you think.
--
Devin

P.S. This is not a trivial script. ``More nuclear reactor than bike
shed'' ^_^

P.P.S. Should be backward compatible to RELENG_4.

P.P.S. I know the screenshot says "host-setup.pub" -- that's only
because our in-house-only version has more functionality than the one
I'm releasing to the general public today (no functionality that anyone
in the public audience would ever care about though).