Can RAID driver be loaded from loader.conf?

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Wed Feb 9 22:08:13 UTC 2011

Hello!

I'm preparing for a migration from single SATA disk attached to
onboard SATA controller to 3ware 9750-4i RAID system. In preparation,
while the system is still running on single disk, I downloaded the
latest tws.ko driver from LSI website and added it to loader.conf:
tws_load="YES"

Further plan is to install the controller and new disks into the
system alongside with the existing disk, create partitions on new disk
and copy over all the contents using dump and tar. After that remove
the existing single disk.

Is it safe to assume that the system will boot from RAID if RAID
controller driver is loaded from loader.conf, or is it absolutely
required to have the RAID driver statically built into the kernel?

--
Toomas Aas