shutdown computer after the halt command

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Feb 8 03:31:24 UTC 2011

> It's quite easy to see you're wrong, just follow the steps I outlined
> above.  If you are correct, reboot(8) should print things like:
>
> Stopping sshd.
>
> to the console.

Sigh.  I shut down my FreeBSD 8.1 laptop all the time with halt -p, and I
can assure you it prints all those messages.

> You can also reference init.c if you still think you're correct.

No thanks, I've already read the man page for init, including this
paragraph:

      When shutting down the machine, init will try to run the /etc/rc.shutdown
      script.  This script can be used to cleanly terminate specific programs
      such as innd (the InterNetNews server).  If this script does not termi-
      nate within 120 seconds, init will terminate it.  The timeout can be con-
      figured via the sysctl(8) variable kern.init_shutdown_timeout.

If you're unfamiliar with rc.shutdown, it also has a man page.

Perhaps your copy of FreeBSD was installed incorrectly, or it's been
so long since you tried halt or reboot that you forgot what happened.

Regards,