Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 7 05:41:08 UTC 2011

> I have heard that Debian project has replaced the Linux kernel in
> their distribution with FreeBSD kernel and have released Debian
> GNU/kFreeBSD. Since this version, they will release Debian
> GNU/kFreeBSD as a "stable" port.
> What is this all about?

As you can see from their webpages, they replaced the Linux kernel
with a patched FreeBSD 8.1 kernel, but kept most of the rest of the
Debian base system and packaging system.  It's for users who prefer a
FreeBSD kernel, but want a Debian userland and packages, and don't
have a problem with the different licenses. Gentoo has a similar
project:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/bsd/fbsd/

There are also some NetBSD-base derivatives.

>What will be consequences for FreeBSD? Will a
> lot of FreeBSD users move to that distribution?

Well, only time will tell, but I doubt that either will completely
replace the other in the near future.  There has already been some
interaction between the two projects -- I remember a few recent
changes made in FreeBSD because of feedback from Debian users and
developers.

b.