nedit problem

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 7 02:36:06 UTC 2011

Fred Boatwright wrote:
> On 02/06/11 00:53, b. f. wrote:
> > Fred Boatwright wrote:
> >
> >> After updating all ports on 8.1-RELEASE, nedit has a problem.  The right
> >> mouse button works ok in the toolbar but if it is pressed in the text
> >> area, for example to copy a block of text, the cursor changes shape and
> >> the X session becomes completely locked up.  I have to stop X and
> >> restart it.  I have tried to deinstall nedit and rebuild it but this
> >> didn't help.  It is nedit-5.5 with Motif 2.2.3.
> > This is a known problem with many Motif-based applications, arising
> > from a bug in recent versions of Xorg.  It has been corrected
> > upstream, and it is likely that this problem will be fixed when the
> > ports freeze ends shortly after the release of FreeBSD 7.4 and 8.2, if
> > not before.  If you can't wait, you can try using the patches from:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=154510
> >

> I have tried several editors that are horrible.  Axe installed from
> packages dumps core.  There were a lot of warnings that later versions
> of libraries were installed than axe was expecting.  Does the maintainer
> need to know this?

Sadly, there is no maintainer for that port.  But yes, you should file
a Problem Report (PR), so that people will know that there may be a
problem:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/index.html

> Can you tell me how to install the Xorg patch to make nedit work?  I
> have not worked with getting source code or compiling from source.  I
> can do the edit on another computer.

Get an up-to-date ports tree.  (If you don't know what that means,
read the relevant portions of the FreeBSD Handbook.)

Place the attached patch (or a trimmed version of the patch from the
PR that I cited earlier) in  ports/x11-servers/xorg-server/files under
a name like 'patch-dix__events.c', that begins with 'patch-', and
doesn't overwrite any of the existing patches.

In the ports/x11-servers/xorg-server directory, run 'make deinstall
clean install && make clean', or use your favorite third-party port
updating tool to force an update of that port.

(If you want to create a backup package of your patched version of
xorg-server, and you are not using a port updating tool with this
feature, then either 'make package' in that directory before running
the final 'make clean', or use 'pkg_create -b "xorg-server-*"'.)

I'm assuming that you are already using the latest version of
x11-servers/xorg-server; if instead you are using an earlier version,
and packages that depend on it, you will probably need to update them
as well.

b.