8.2 prerelease, virtualbox, and windows guests that freeze...

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Sun Feb 6 16:37:22 UTC 2011

On 02/06/2011 09:23, Mario Lobo wrote:
> On Saturday 05 February 2011 22:12:45 Eric Schuele wrote:
>
>> All,
>

>> I have a laptop running 8.2-prerelease GENERIC. I have virtualbox ose
>
>> 3.2.12 from ports (and kmod as well).
>

>> I've only installed windows guests in vbox. I've installed windows 2008
>
>> server 64, windows vista 64bit, and windows 7 32bit. I have the vbox
>
>> hdd images on an NTFS filesystem mounted using fuse.

<snip>

> Eric;
>
> My advice to you is that you change the file system on drive that holds
> the VMs files from NTFS to EXT2.

Thanks for the suggestion, however,  I've already tried this (sorta).
From my original post...

>> I did try a windows guest on a non fuse filesystem just to rule that
>> out, but had same issue.

I suppose it may have been a little less than clear.  By "non fuse
filesystem"  I actually meant UFS.  The problem still persisted.

> NTFS file systems on FreeBSD or even Linux are OK only for doing small
> r/w stuff. I use the ntfs-3g which is really good but don't trust NTFS
> for heavy usage under those OSs. Sometimes it's not even trustable under
> windows itself.

I realize NTFS on fBSD has been shaky in the past, but had heard it had
come a long way these days.  It does seem to work well for all my
purposes, except these VMs.  Had hoped NTFS was not the issue.

> EXT on the other hand, is very stable in FreeBSD and has very good
> drivers for any version of 32/64 windows (Ext2IFS_1_11a) so you can
> access you vdi files.

I've not tried the EXT IFS for windows yet, nor had I heard much
regarding their success or failure.  If your willing to go out on a limb
and say "very good drivers for any version of 32/64 windows"...  I'll
give it a try, and post my results.  :)

Thanks.

--
Regards,