manual page formatting issues

Rob freebsd-questions at rl.id.au
Sat Feb 5 04:49:43 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm running FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE (running on VMWare Server 2.0.2) and am
having some odd issues the formatting of man pages.

If I view a man page (as root) in the console it displays correctly. If I
view the man page (again, as root) in a (PuTTY) terminal session, the bold
formatting of the command line arguments is missing.

See the following screen shot examples:

Console: http://imageupload.org/?di=612968791464

Terminal: http://imageupload.org/?di=112968791464

In the console session I have the TERM=cons25.

In the terminal session I have it set to TERM=xterm. My PuTTY settings are
pretty much the default, including the "Connection->Data->Terminal-type
string" set to xterm.

The pager in both sessions is set to more.

I've played around with various terminal settings, to no avail. Can someone
please offer some pointers as to how I might fix this?

Thanks,
Rob