qmail or postfix?

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Wed Feb 2 16:37:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 03:32:26PM +0100, Alessandro Baggi wrote:

> Hi list. Who is better, qmail or postfix?
>
> thanks in advance

I've used both and both have their advocates/supporters.

I used qmail for about 10 yrs and picked it when basically the choice
was qmail, sendmail and smail.

It worked well and was install and configure and don't do anything
else for 10 years.

Then a few years ago I was building a new machine and decided to
re-assess the MTA; I chose Postfix and am very pleased with it.

I chose Postfix because more people run it and support was likely
easier to come across, not because of any perceived inadequacies of
qmail.

When you do decide on your MTA, I'd recommend buying a book which
documents it.

What I'd also say is that Postfix is probably easier to install and
configure. I installed qmail from source but used the port for
Postfix.

Regards,

--

 Frank