qmail or postfix?

Jarrod Slick jarrod at e-sensibility.com
Wed Feb 2 03:56:38 UTC 2011

Calling qmail more secure is pretty much just echoing conjecture at this
point.  Sure, it was designed to be secure (years and years ago) and the
original author even held a contest with a monetary reward for anyone who
could find a vulnerability -- that said, AFAIK that person no longer
maintains the project.  It requires lots of third party patches to be as
functional as postfix, so to what extent these patches counteract the
original coder's (apparent) secure coding practices is open to debate.

If you know of any specific problems with postfix that would substantiate
your claim I encourage you to inform the project's maintainers.  From
personal experience I can say that I've run a postfix config for years
without problems.  Also, in most networks I don't think the MTA is a very
prominent attack vector; people are probably much more likely to get in
through that old wordpress installation you've been meaning to upgrade for 6
months (for instance).