Ettercap segmentation fault....

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 02:41:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Axel Barnabas <axel at ucs.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have compiles ettercap from ports without incident. However, when I attempt to run ettercap in any way, after a short while the program crashes and I am presented with an error message which is as follows:
>

> Ooops ! This shouldn't happen...
> Segmentation Fault...
>
> Please recompile in debug mode, reproduce the bug and send a bugreport
>

> I have deinstalled and recompiled to program twice, yielding no results.
> Some additional information which may be useful-
>
> #pkg_info | grep ettercap
> ettercap-gtk2-0.7.3_10,1 A network sniffer/interceptor/injector/logger for switched
>
> #uname -a
> FreeBSD  8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0: Sat Nov 21 15:02:08 UTC 2009     root at mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> If anyone wishes me to recompile in debug mode, you will have to tell me how; I am not familiar with the process.
>
> Axel

Try this:

Before building the port (if you're starting from scratch), run:

Code:

# cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/ettercap
# make fetch
# make extract

In the file "/usr/ports/net-mgmt/ettercap/work/ettercap-NG-0.7.3/src/protocols/ec_tcp.c"
on line 119, change the following line from:

Code:

opt_end = (u_char *)((int)tcp + tcp->off * 4);

Code:

opt_end = (u_char *)(tcp + tcp->off * 4);

...using your favorite text editor.

Then, run the typical:

Code:

# make config
# make build
# make install

After all of that, give the program a run or two, and see if it's working.

Let us all know.

-Brandon

[Refer to FreeBSD Forum Thread:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=15719]