Single user mode exits unexpectedly

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Dec 31 08:39:44 UTC 2011

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 00:57:04 -0500, Janos Dohanics wrote:
> I have just rebuilt world and kernel according to the Handbook,
> installed the new kernel, rebooted, logged in, issued "sudo shutdown
> now" - the machine entered single user mode, then immediately exited
> without any intervention by me and continued to boot into multiuser
> mode.

That's not the procedure required. From the comment section
of /usr/src/Makefile:

 1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
 2.  `make buildworld'
 3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
 4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
      [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
 5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
 6.  `mergemaster -p'
 7.  `make installworld'
 8.  `make delete-old'
 9.  `mergemaster'            (you may wish to use -i, along with -U or -F).
10.  `reboot'
11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)

Step 5: reboot _into_ single user mode. After installing
the kernel and shutting down the system, let it come up
to the kernel loader. You can enter that stage by pressing
the space bar several times. If I remember correctly,
you'll then see prompt

	Ok
	> _

Then enter "boot -s" to bring up the system in single user
mode. After you've confirmed the shell, do

	# mount -a
	# cd /usr/src
	# mergemaster -p

and continue with steps 7 - 10.

If you have the Beastie menu, press [4] to get into the
single user mode.

> Here is a snippet from /var/log/messages:
>
> Dec 30 17:41:15 iguana rc.shutdown: 30 second watchdog timeout expired. Shutdown terminated.
> Dec 30 17:41:15 iguana init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc.shutdown terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
> Dec 30 17:41:15 iguana syslogd: exiting on signal 15                    <---
> Dec 30 17:41:28 iguana syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel <---
>
> This seems to be happening every time in response to "shutdown now".

The reason might be that you're running your updated
kernel, but the world has not been properly installed?

> However, I can cold boot this machine into single user mode with
> nothing unusual.
>
> This is FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE amd64, rebuilt on 12/26/2011
>
> I guess I may have unintentionally changed a config file? Where should
> I look?

Review your installation steps and _maybe_ redo the installation
as indicated in the manual. Maybe there's really just something
out of sync.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany