Installing FreeBSD ver. 8.2

leeoliveshackelford at surewest.net leeoliveshackelford at surewest.net
Sat Dec 31 05:03:14 UTC 2011

Good evening, dear FreeBSD enthusiast.  I am a newcomer, and have installed FreeBSD 8.2 on a Hewlett-Packard xw4400.  After many hours of frustration, I am tearing my hair out.  I want my system to include an M-Audio Delta 1010LT sound card, MIDI over USB driver, X-windows, and Gnome.  The instructions in the handbook and on-disk man do not seem to apply to this version of FreeBSD, or at least I do not seem to know how to apply them.  I type "find sound," or "find pcm," or find snd_envy24," or "find x11," or "find gnome," and receive either a blank response, or response of "file does not exist" to all of these queries.  All of these items were supposedly installed at the time of system configuration, but as to where, I cannot seem to determine.  The gnome installation took twice as long as installation of everything else.  Where did sysinstall install it?  How do I get it to start?  The response to "startx" is "file does not exit."  I realize that I may be missing something o
 b!
vious.  Any guidance is appreciated.  -- Lee