SSL/TLS suddenly stopped working for postfix

Mark mark at msen.com
Fri Dec 30 16:53:24 UTC 2011

My apologies for the cross-posting but I believe it is relevant.

     I have been running postfix for 8+ months without problems.
Recently ( a week or two) I had a user complain that he could no longer
send.  It appears that postfix is no longer accepting SSL/TLS
connections.  STARTTLS is working on port 587 (and possibly 25, still
testing)  I am trying to figure out why the change.

     If I try and open an openssl connection manually, this is what I get:

openssl s_client -connect mail.myServer.net:587
CONNECTED(00000003)
44829:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown
protocol:/usr/src/secure/lib/libssl/../../../crypto/openssl/ssl/s23_clnt.c:478:

     I recently installed a webmail client , roundcube.  Not sure if
that could affect anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  I know I should send main.cf and
master.cf but I have to filter out the proprietary info first...

Mark Moellering