Same version on binary packages and updated ports

Walter Alejandro Iglesias roquesor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 16:41:30 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am giving my firsts steps with FreeBSD.
I've searched a lot in google, mailing list, forums, freebsd
handbook and I am still not clear about the following.

In a RELEASE fresh install, after updating the ports using i.e.
portsnap, the packages downloaded with pkp_add -r are older
versions respect their port counterparts, leading to
dependencies issues.  So, once the ports tree is updated:

1) Am I forced to compile all?

2) Should I use STABLE to get the same versions with pkg_add
than compiling up to date ports?  Are STABLE packages compiled
from this ports?

3) In case my assumption above is correct; taking in care that
in a production system it is advisable (handbook) to stay with
RELEASE, should I avoid updating the ports tree in i.e. a server
machine?  What to do with broken ports in this case?

Resuming, is there a default way to install-update the software
keeping ports and binary packages in one piece?  What is
advisable in general terms for a desktop and what for a server?

It will be enough for me if someone just point me to documentation.

Big thanks

	Walter