mutual forwarders in ISC BIND

Kevin Wilcox kevin.wilcox at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 03:09:40 UTC 2011

On Dec 28, 2011 9:26 PM, "Victor Sudakov" <vas at mpeks.tomsk.su> wrote:

> And the reason for the whole thread. One of the customers told me that
> 8.8.8.8 is faster than our own DNS servers which are located on the
> same 100 MBit/s LAN with them. I was shocked but it seems true, at
> least for the answers which are not yet cached.

That actually makes perfect sense. That's one of the Google DNS IP
addresses and they see a LOT of traffic, they're probably going to have the
majority of the domains your clients want to look up (assuming your clients
are like mine and most of their lookups are general web traffic) already in
cache - your servers will need to go through the whole lookup process.

Still, after a day or two of use, I would think your servers would have the
bulk of what they needed in their caches. You may want to enable logging to
see which domains are being looked up (if it won't break any applicable
laws or policies) and do some spot-checks to see why they may not be in
your cache.

kmw