* Re: chroot error: /bin/csh: No such file or directory; trying to create customized livecd/dvd

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Mon Dec 26 15:30:53 UTC 2011

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 23, 2011, at 8:28 PM, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> I am trying to build a simple livecd to learn more.  I have
> successfully run some commands found here:
>
> http://www.secure-computing.net/wiki/index.php/FreeBSD/LiveCD
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildworld DESTDIR=/usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
> # make installworld DESTDIR=/usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
> # make buildkernel DESTDIR=/usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
> # make installkernel DESTDIR=/usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
> # make distribution DESTDIR=/usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
>
> all these commands are successful
>
> I mount devfs as instructed in command
>
> # mount -t devfs devfs /path/to/livecd/dev
> # chroot /path/to/livecd

> tricorehome# mount -t devfs devfs /usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
> tricorehome# chroot /usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
> chroot: /bin/csh: No such file or directory

> I have tried to use freesbie script(s) by installing freesbie port,
> but it failed and I asked questions but got few to no responses.
> I have tried to look for some scripts/SDK but not have been successful
> like frenzy's to create frenzy livecd.  There are few to no FreeBSD
> LiveCDs, only one that has been working and updated is the GhostBSD
> one by Eric Turgeon.   I see OpenBSD has several livecds/livedvds like
> jggimi, FuguITA, etc to showcase it.  NetBSD has one as well called
> Jibbed.  FreeBSD has specialized ones like PfSense, Monowall, FreeNAS,
> Mahesha, and GhostBSD.  Frenzy was apparently going to be maintained
> but no newer releases.  I have gotten feedback as to there exist
> mfsBSD by Martin Matruska, http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/, and druidbsd,
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/druidbsd/, but cannot do much with
> them :(
>
> I try to get my feet wet, but I get error and can't seem to get around it :(
>
> Any thoughts, ideas, comments, observations?
> I just want to create a livecd/livedvd with customized packages to
> take my desktop everywhere,

That should be pretty easy with druidbsd as it gives you a convenient dumping-ground to throw extras.

Note, however, that there is a very large code-drop around the corner that will bring about 1.5 years of enhancements in soon. So if it doesn't do quite what you want now, it may soon.

That being said, one of the things I feel makes DruidBSD unique is an insanely-customized mfsroot designed to break you out into the larger (and more expansive) ISO-9660 structure so that you -- as a developer of your own custom LiveCD -- CAN expand the functionality simply by dumping binaries and libs into the ISO-9660 structure while the mfsroot stays nice and compact.

If you wanted to, you could add X windows even.
--
Devin