FreeBSD 8 LiveFS - How To Start SSHD?

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Mon Dec 26 11:53:09 UTC 2011

On 12/24/11 11:35 PM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I've lost a drive in my FBSD 8.? box.  I have a FBSD 8.1 LiveFS CD from
> which I've booted.  I'd like to get sshd running so I can connect
> remotely and have the ability to browse, copy/paste, etc. while I see
> what I might be able to salvage before replacing my drive.
>
> I've found these directions:
>
> http://wiki.ggis.biz/index.php/Recover_Using_LiveFS
>
> I can do the "Configure the network connection", the  "setup login shell
> for root", and the "Prepare SSH" part.  However the "Enable, configure,
> and start sshd" part doesn't seem to apply and really doesn't make sense.
>
> Bottom line is that after running /mnt2/use/sbin/sshd, I can see the
> process in ps output.  However when I attempt to connect to sshd as
> root, my connection is immediately closed.  I'm thinking it's a
> PermitRootLogin yes issue and I'm missing something but I've read and
> re-read that section and verified that /etc/ssh/sshd_config contains
> PermitRootLogin yes.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get sshd running or point me to a better link?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew

I would suggest using Martin Matuska's MFSBSD and loading it over PXE
(or burning it to a disk).

It'll load you a 8.2 BSD in RAM, and from there you'll be able to mount
your local disks.

Root login allowed, password is mfsroot.

It'll try to get a DHCP IP, if it fails, you'll need to configure an IP
manually.