PolicyKit confusion

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 23 14:43:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 02:18:19PM +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> This is doing my head in.

:-)

> I'm trying to get my head around hal, dbus,
> and PolicyKit, and I've made some inroads on the basics, but I cannot
> get a few things happening.
>
> One: I managed to get network:/// smb shares working in say nautilus
> (not that I've specifically mounted one- not a windows in sight here
> thank god!), but I was hoping for NFS shares to show up.

Why not just use mount_nfs from your login shell's rc file?

> I also got the
> usb disk to show up as a 'place' but when I access it I get permissions
> issues. This is what I'm hung up on.

I'm not using policykit or hal, but I did make a separate group predictably
called 'usb' to solve permission problems for USB devices. My user-id is a
member of that group. I have to following set in /etc/devfs.rules:

[my_devs=10]
add path 'da*' mode 0660 group usb
add path 'msdosfs/*' mode 0660 group usb
add path 'usb/*' mode 0660 group usb
add path 'ugen*' mode 0660 group usb
add path 'tap*' mode 0660 group wheel
add path 'pass*' mode 0660 group cdrom
add path 'dri/card*' mode 0666

And in /etc/rc.conf I have activated this ruleset:

devfs_system_ruleset="my_devs"

With this I can access the necessary devices.

> I checked out /media/hal-* and I see that the mount occurs only as root.
> How do I change that exactly? I need it showing for operator group.

Is hald running under its own user-id? Try the usb group thing and add the hald
user to that group.

> I've
> searched high and low and googled my brains out, but anything remotely
> related is for linux and udev.

I don't think enough people care to make it really work under FreeBSD. I've
certainly never missed it.

You might take a look at devd(8) as a FreeBSD alternative, but I'm not sure if
it notices new da devices popping up.

Roland