LOCALE issue: Pysycache errors on run

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Thu Dec 22 13:17:03 UTC 2011

On 12/22/11 15:11, Da Rock wrote:
> Just something for the kids, but I'm wondering how to get this to work?
>
> I've installed from ports, but when I run it from the cli to test it I
> get an error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/pysycache.py", line 442, in <module>
>     if __name__ == '__main__': main(const.GWithFullScreen)
>   File "/usr/local/bin/pysycache.py", line 266, in main
>     myrep = os.path.join(const.GRepPysycache,
> '/usr/local/share/pysycache/help', const.GMyLocale )
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/posixpath.py", line 66, in join
>     if b.startswith('/'):
> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'startswith'
>
> Assuming this _does_ actually work, anyone know the trick to getting
> this work?
After some extensive rooting around, I've discovered through a crash
course in python and destructive testing that there is a locale issue
with this program:

%env LANG=en_EN.ISO8859-1 pysycache.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/bin/pysycache.py", line 442, in <module>
     if __name__ == '__main__': main(const.GWithFullScreen)
   File "/usr/local/bin/pysycache.py", line 264, in main
     locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,"")
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/locale.py", line 531, in setlocale
     return _setlocale(category, locale)
locale.Error: unsupported locale setting

Many variations have been tried here, but I still can't get it to work.
Anything I'm missing here?

Disabling the locale setting in the program is not an option for many
reasons.