FreeBSD on Amazon AWS EC2 for production servers?

firmdog at gmail.com firmdog at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 03:12:23 UTC 2011

Hi,

Amazon AWS offers a free tier service for the first year, for one
running instance of FreeBSD (and other OS's) It's a great place to
experiment for free if you don't have any spare hardware. I have
installed a few FreeBSD servers up there and it seems to work fine,
and I would like to take some servers up in the AWS system. Here is
some information to look at:

http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-on-ec2/

I posted the following on the AWS EC2 forum with no response,
therefore asking here to see if anyone is using EC2:

Is anyone running production servers using the FreeBSD 8.2 AMI on EC2?
I want to take my servers up to AWS and run DNS, email, web, mysql,
apache, ssl, etc... mainly to have reliable power and I like the
versatility at AWS. For those on FreeBSD up here in AWS, how is it
working? Stable? Reliable? Any gotchas or knows issues you can share?
Any comments or feedback would be awesome to read!