opening vim with a flag: ready to write?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Dec 16 08:09:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 11:44:15PM -0500, Karl Vogel wrote:
> Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 23:44:15 -0500 (EST)
> From: Karl Vogel <vogelke+unix at pobox.com>
> Subject: Re: opening vim with a flag: ready to write?
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> >> On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:42:31 -0800
> >> Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> may have said:
>
> G> is the a way of starting off vim or gvim and be able to type into the
> G> editor _without_ first typing: a,i,o,O,I,A, or any other character?
>
>    The command
>        vim --cmd start /some/file
>    works for new files, and puts you into insert mode on the first line of
>    an existing file.
>
>    If you want to have vim start by appending to an existing file, use
>    something like
>        echo >> /some/file
>        vim + --cmd start /some/file

	i was thinking about something your second option; but i've
	tried victor's suggestion.  it works.

>    to append a line first, or your session will start in "insert" mode with
>    the cursor at the beginning of the last line.

	i am putting my /bin/sh script into gtk a`short program to
	help the speech impaired or mute.  i posted my script last
	month to show how with espeak -f <textfile>.  i'll use gvim
	or kate because of the abbrfev feature.  my last question
	is: is there any way of ending textfile1 with one keystroke
	unstead of the standard "ECS:x[<enter>]"  --yeah, i've got
	the src, but i'd rather not.

> --
> Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company
>
> Leighton Meester beats her mom in court
>               --Dec 2011 headline that really could have been phrased better

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 8.57a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org
             Twenty-five years of service to the Unix community.