Enabling FTP and Telnet access for root and users

Reid Linnemann lreid at cs.okstate.edu
Thu Dec 15 14:35:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Daniel Lewis
<innervisionnetwork at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I enable Telnet and ftp access for root and users?
>  I turned on ftp and telnet in inetd but when at telenet or ftp prompt
> access is denied.
>
> Im using free bsd 8.2
>

> Thanks,
> Daniel lewis

Disclaimer:
Why in God's name would you want to enable root access through
insecure means such as telnet and ftp? Do you have a specific
requirement for these two protocols? For many years now ssh/sftp/scp
have been able to securely provide analogous services, and I would
recommend you take advantage of them before opening yourself up to the
woes of root access on ftp and telnet.

That being said,

Are you not able to authenticate any users or just root?

Are your ftpd and telnetd services being wrapped by inetd? Can you
show inetd.conf?

/etc/ftpusers contains a list of usernames that will be denied access
through ftp, root and its alias toor are both in there by default