AHCI driver and static device names

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Thu Dec 15 11:47:18 UTC 2011

On 12/15/2011 10:02 AM, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> I suppose if someone wanted to track down the "official" way of
> solving this problem, they could look into how Windows handles it.

To my knowledge, Windows (XP, at least; probably others) labels the boot
filesystem on install, and just probes all disks every boot for a
filesystem with the given label. This is why you can move a Windows disk
around with relative impunity (as long as the controller drivers are
installed); but simply copying all those files to another filesystem
(a-la dump/restore on BSD) never results in a bootable OS, even if you
put them back in the same place.

This is also why booting with two attached clones of the same Windows
system disk is so fun.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo