Installing free bsd

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Tue Dec 13 00:14:36 UTC 2011

On 12/13/11 09:58, Frank Shute wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 06:05:29PM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:
>> First of all, always include the list in a response to something
>> from the list.   Other people will be reading and may well know
>> more than me or any other person who responds.   eg, don't just
>> send the follow-on question back to the one responding.  Send it
>> to the list.
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 04:26:06PM -0600, Daniel Lewis wrote:
>>
>>> do direct ftp to disk? And what do you mean by fixate?
>> No.  You ftp the file down to the local machine and then use a CD burning
>> utility to burn file to the CD.   On FreeBSD there is one called 'burncd'.
>> I am not familiar with the ones on a MS system, but there are several
>> available.   Maybe someone else will suggest one or there is probably
>> some information in the handbook.
>>
>> Fixate is something that finishes writing a terminal record on
>> the CD image or something like that.  I don't really know in
>> detail.   I think some burner utilities do it automatically with
>> no choice.   The burncd utility needs to have you specify it.
>>
>> ////jerry

> I've used Nero in the past on a Windows system to burn an ISO. You can
> download it (probably timebombed) from http://www.tucows.com/ I think.
>
> Instructions on burning and fixating are here:
>
> http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm
>

> Regards,

Depending on your windows (xp and later) it should be built-in (only a
very basic one though). Double click and it should give an option to
burn the disk. Once its completed, voila! You have the ultimate weapon
in the computing world! Sorry... got carried away, but nearly accurate
though :) - you have a bootable disk to install FreeBSD 8.2. Mostly
you'll only need disk 1. The others have pkg files for certain
applications, but you can download those as you need them automatically
using pkg_add -r and connected to the internet. That way you get the
updated versions as well. Better yet: try the ports instead. For more
info on either check out the handbook http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/.

Good luck!