PAM confusion

Reid Linnemann lreid at cs.okstate.edu
Mon Dec 12 21:56:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Michael W. Lucas
<mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to hook security/pam_ssh_agent_auth into sudo, and have
> learned that PAM doesn't work the way I thought it did.
>
> I'm running FreeBSD-9/i386, with sudo 1.7.2.6.
>
> My goal is that sudo pass all auth requests back to the users' SSH
> agent.  Sudo should never use passwords for authentication. If the
> user doesn't have an SSH agent, or if the SSH agent breaks somehow,
> the sudo request is denied.
>
> With my current config, sudo requests are accepted without a password
> even if the users' environment has no $SSH_AUTH_SOCK. I'm obviously
> doing something wrong.
>
> Here's my pam.d/sudo. I removed password settings and required the
> pam_ssh_agent_auth library.
>
> ---
> #auth           include         system
> auth            required        /usr/local/lib/pam_ssh_agent_auth.so file=~/.ssh/authorized\
> _keys
>
> # account
> account         include         system
>
> # session
> # XXX: pam_lastlog (used in system) causes users to appear as though
> # they are no longer logged in in system logs.
> session         required        pam_permit.so
>
> # password
> #password       include         system
> ---
>
> Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> ==ml
>
> --
> Michael W. Lucas
> http://www.MichaelWLucas.com/, http://blather.MichaelWLucas.com/
> Latest book: Network Flow Analysis http://www.networkflowanalysis.com/
> mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org, Twitter @mwlauthor

Make sure your sudoers file has

Defaults env_keep += "SSH_AUTH_SOCK"

Also, make sure your matching rule for your user doesn't have NOPASSWD
set. It seems that since you've already authenticated to the system,
sudo still knows the user and/or group credentials without the pam
module's help - all it does is authenticate the public and private
keys. If you have NOPASSWD, sudo doesn't even think it needs to refer
to the authentication mechanism because according to sudoers it needs
no password for the user issuing the request.