Thank you for bsdstats!

Hub- FreeBSD freebsd at hub.org
Mon Dec 12 07:11:10 UTC 2011

Since this may by of interest to others, including those maintaining ports, I've just created a dump of the history data for ports and versions reported in … not the reporting ports is optional, there appears to only be about 10% of the hosts that report in port information …

The dump is available at http://www.bsdstats.org/ports.raw.sql.bz2

it contains a postgresql dump of three tables:

ports, where
id == system id (anonymous data, but let's you group data)
catid == link to port_category (ie. net, www)
sw_id == link to port_software (ie. apache, perl)

the data goes back to '07, so a fair amount of history to look at …

For those unaware of what BSDstats is, check out http://www.bsdstats.org *or* /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats … short summary:

An OptIn only site that accumulates statistics on *BSD related usage … as the #s show when you go to the site, it is by no means close to the # of sites using *BSD ...

We are averaging over 6k hosts reporting in each month, for 7 different variants of *BSD:

  PC-BSD, FreeBSD, DesktopBSD, DragonflyBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and MidnightBSD

To participate is a simple 'make install' in /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats … at a minimum, just make sure you enable it to run monthly out of periodic …

The data collected and stored is done so totally anonymously … we collect no IP *or* hostname information … each participate gets an Id that is stored in a token file that is used for reporting, which also allows the system to work through proxy / nat, since the individual ID is generated the first time you connect to the system, and used going forward …