difference between cvsup and csup?

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 12 04:51:21 UTC 2011

Foo JH wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I notice FreeBSD is now using (and probably has been for a while) csup
> instead of cvsup. The parameters looking identical - at least from the
> no-gui perspective.
>
> Can anyone advise what the difference is, and perhaps educate me on how
> this came to be?

I'm certainly not any kind of expert, but please note by examining the
dependencies you will notice cvsup requires ezm3. This is a portable version
of Modula-3 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modula-3 ), upon which cvsup is
designed.

Csup is a rewrite of cvsup in the C language, and as such can be included as
part of the base operating system. It is only linked against a few system
libraries. This also means it can be built using the same tools and system
compiler whenever the system itself is updated.

Csup is faster, built-in, and has no third party dependencies. Theoretically
it should have less potential for problems. Cvsup is a third party port,
which itself depends on other third party ports.

-Mike