9.0 install and journaling

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 11 00:41:26 UTC 2011

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 08:17:41 +1000
Da Rock wrote:

> > SUJ speeds up the check a lot, seconds as opposed to minutes.  If
> > something happens to the journal, it falls back to a standard fsck.
> But fsck needs to be run manually- I have users that can't do that,
> and the filesystem corrupts. Ergo gjournal; it boots up and fixes on
> the fly. So SU+J needs a manual fsck before booting proper or can it
> just boot and be done?

It's not very different; gjournal and SU both attempt to leave the
filesystem in an coherent state, but both still need a preen to
recover lost space. In either case the preen can fail requiring a full
fsck.

Journalled SU make SU behave more like gjournal in that you can do a
fast foreground check which avoids the lengthy background fsck and
avoids deferring the handling of unexpected inconsistencies to the next
boot.