9.0 install and journaling

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sat Dec 10 22:02:05 UTC 2011

On 10/12/2011 11:41 μμ, Da Rock wrote:
> On 12/11/11 02:09, Manolis Kiagias wrote:

>>> Use the bsdinstall partition editor to manually create the
>>> partitions. I documented how to create an old-fashioned MBR layout
>>> with bsdinstall on the forums a while back:
>>> http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=149210&postcount=13
>>>
>>> The process would be similar for GPT, which is really the way to go
>>> now.
>>>

>> As Warren says, you can still create /usr and /var and all the other
>> "legacy" partitions if you so wish - and you may even use the full
>> journaling (gjournal) on them.
>> But the default for bsdinstall is to use gpart, install everything on
>> a big / and create UFS2 partitions with the new soft-updates
>> journaling system (on by default). Compared to gjournal, soft-updates
>> journaling only journals metadata and not everything like gjournal
>> does. This will definitely make it faster although probably less
>> "safe" than gjournal. It should be good for most purposes though and
>> needs no additional steps after install (unlike gjournal). Since it's
>> the default, the decision to go for one big / seems ok after all. I
>> believe this is more or less what Linux is doing with Ext3/Ext4
>> filesystems (metadata journaling).
> GPT is cool - no problems there. The main thing I want to know is if I
> need to run fsck every time the system dies unexpectedly (which is a
> higher occurrence on a laptop)? GJournal helps in that it takes care
> of that. The growing size of drives is another concern given the time
> it takes to check a 500G disk (my smallest atm), although this is way
> down on the list for the moment.

It does the fsck automatically and it seems to be  fast. As with other
metadata journaled filesystems you will probably have to do a full check
occasionally. Can't you give you any times atm, I need to dump
/repartition/restore some of my systems to use su+j. Only tested on
virtual machines.

> As for one big / partition- linux may be using it: and its their
> biggest failing! I've had a system lockup due to lack of space. Never
> a problem with bsd as logs will only fill up var, a user won't break
> it with filling up usr, etc. And root always stays protected! Its
> saved my life a number of times... I can quickly fill TB's of data in
> no time, and if something goes bang the logs can be a silent killer
> too. My 2c's anyway...

I am used to the separate partitions too, although I realize a single
big / would be suitable for more than a few systems. It's nice we have a
choice here.