9.0 install and journaling

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Sat Dec 10 11:40:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 07:51:50PM +1000, R Skinner wrote:

> I bit the bullet and installed the rc3, after spending half the day
> fighting to get atheros 9285 working on a new laptop. I have to do
> another as well, so...
>
> After recovering myself from the shock of the new bsdinstall (not bad. A
> little confusing after using sysinstall for so long), I installed the
> system with 1 (thats right One! Ah ha ha) partition - yet another shock
> to figure through. What I'm staggered about is I was using fdisk to
> setup journaling on the usr and var partitions.
>
> So I went to the handbook. I'm still a little confused though: can one
> still setup the usr and var (and so forth)? It said you possibly could,
> but it escaped me as to how. And before I do- I looked up journaling on
> 9. I couldn't quite get to the bottom of whether it is or isn't
> available/standard, or how to determine its happening. I'm only
> interested because of unexpected shutdowns/battery dead on the laptop- I
> also have 500G which is a while to wait for fsck. Speed I'd like, but I
> have to consider system integrity first.
>
> Little light, please?
>
> Cheers

I'm unfamiliar with the new bsdinstaller but AFAIK it sets up a UFS2
filesystem for you.

This comes with background fsck and softupdates which achieve the
objective of not having to wait for a lengthy foreground fsck if you
don't shutdown your laptop cleanly.

As for filesystem integrity, I've occasionally not shutdown properly
and the system has subsequently come up quickly again with the
background fsck doing it's stuff.

I don't remember anybody posting to this list saying: "Help! I didn't
shutdown my machine properly and now my filesystem is toast."

At the worst you may have to run a foreground fsck.

You can set up a proper journal:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/geom-gjournal.html

but to be honest, I wouldn't bother in your position: it's just more
stuff to go wrong for no appreciable gain to you.

Regards,

--

 Frank