SOLVED: ipfw And ping

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Wed Dec 7 05:01:55 UTC 2011

I have a fairly restrictive firewall but I wanted to open a hole for ping and
traceroute - both outbound from a NATed LAN as well as inbound to the boundary
FreeBSD machine.  The magic sauce turned out to be:

   ipfw add allow icmp from any to any icmptypes 0,3,4,8,11,12

The other insight here was that this rule had to occur *after* NAT got
setup or internal users on the LAN would not be able to ping.

Many thanks especially go to Robert Bonomi and Ian Smith for their
help and patience with my foolish questions...

Tim