freebsd-update

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Sun Dec 4 12:31:46 UTC 2011

On Sun 2011-12-04 11:06:29 UTC+0100, Dick Hoogendijk (dick at nagual.nl) wrote:

> Why do I get a warning if I use freebsd-update about a renewal of my
> FreeBSD installation within the next two months because after that time
> it will nog be supported anymore?

Presumably you mean 8.2-RELEASE.

http://security.freebsd.org/ says that the estimated EOL (end-of-life)
for 8.2-RELEASE is February 29, 2012.  Looking at the source code to
freebsd-update, the EOL date is fetched from the metadata hosted by
the freebsd-update servers.

>From what I understand, the focus is on releasing FreeBSD 9.0, and 8.3
will be released after that.  But 9.0 is still in testing.

Despite the message, I suspect security updates for 8.2 will still be
issued for several months after 8.3 is released, to give people plenty
of time to test 8.3 first before upgrading their 8.2 machines.

> I run FreeBSD-release-p4. Freebsd-update 'sees' p3. Is this the cause?

If this is true, you may have a separate (possibly additional)
problem, but on my 8.2-RELEASE-p4 system, freebsd-update sees I have
p4 installed.  I still see the above message you describe.  "uname -r"
shows p3, however.  I understand this is expected behaviour on account
of there being no kernel patches between p3 & p4.

Regards
Andrew