Issues with Link Aggregation

Duane Hill duihi77 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 19:18:36 UTC 2011

Hello Freebsd-Questions,

I   have   an  Asus  laptop  running  FreeBSD  8.2-RELEASE-p4.  I have
successfully  configured  both the wired and wireless interfaces. They
both  work  individually.  I  use the wireless interface more than the
wired,   so  I  have  attempted  to  us link aggregation (LAGG) to tie
the  two  together  so either can be used when connected. lagg and iwn
have been added into a custom compiled kernel.

FreeBSD  on this Asus uses alc0 for the wired interface and iwn(wlan0)
for the wireless interface. The following is in my rc.conf:

  ifconfig_alc0="up"
  wlans_iwn0="wlan0"
  ifconfig_wlan0="up wpa"
  cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
  ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto failover laggport wlan0 laggport alc0"
  ipv4_addrs_lagg0="192.168.2.90/24"
  defaultrouter="192.168.2.1"
  hostname="asus.local"

Looking  at  various  documentation shows this should support wlan0 as
the master and alc0 as the failover.

Everything  is  working like it should. However, every so often, I get
messages on the console stating:

  alc0: phy read timeout : 0
  alc0: phy read timeout : 17
  alc0: phy read timeout : 1
  alc0: phy read timeout : 1

Even  though this is happening, there doesn't appear to be any issues.
Can anyone shed light on why these messages are showing up?

--
If at first you don't succeed, so much for skydiving."