A quality operating system

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Aug 28 00:44:19 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 01:56:16PM -0500, Evan Busch wrote:
> I can see this will be important here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
>
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> >
> > In most cases, documentation requires you to have a minimal clue of
> > what you're doing. There's terminology you simply have to know, and
> > concepts to understand in order to use the documentation.
>
> See the Wikipedia page above -- the problem isn't one of user
> competence, but of poorly-written documentation that is fundamentally
> disorganized.

False dilemma.

Hmm.  You were right.  That *was* important.

> Have you looked at any of the documentation coming out of Redmond right
> now?

Yes.

> How do you think FreeBSD's documentation stands up to that?

Quite favorably.

> > Different kinds of users have different preferences. Some like to use
> > the web, like to use Wikis and discussion boards.  Others like to use
> > structured web pages. Again, other like web pages too, but want to
> > have as much information in _one_ (long) page. And there are those
> > who do not want to depend on the web - those like man pages.
>
> The question isn't form, but content.

You commented on the "disorganized" state of the documentation.  That's
a matter of form.

> > Here the "one size fits all" problem arises. It's really hard to make
> > documentation "for everybody".
>
> I disagree. It's very clear what must be done because multiple
> archetypes exist.

"Archetypes"?  I do not think it means what you think it means.

> > You can "predict" that everywhere. Just go to any halfway specialized
> > setting and make claims about something not meeting your requirements
>
> I've never had this problem when the claims have been stated
> professionally -- only here.

There was nothing professional about your statements in general.

Move along, now.  It is obvious you have no interest in honest discussion
of the merits and demerits of things FreeBSD-related.