9.0-RC1 Release?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Aug 26 14:58:11 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:51:28AM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 01:52:02AM -0500, Nathaniel Torbett wrote:
> >
> > Distrowatch has you slated to release 9.0-RC1 on 8/24.  I cannot find the
> > release for download.  Is this delayed and is there a new release
> > date/schedule?
>
> Anyone, even Distrowatch, who posts a specific date for a release before
> it happens doesn't know what they are talking about,  At best, then
> are guessing.    FreeBSD creates target dates for certain aspects of
> the work to help focus the work, but these are not official release dates.

There's some truth in that.  Firefox missed its first deadline in its new
six week release schedule by a couple weeks -- and the Mozilla Foundation
was *not* suggesting it would be "somewhere around" six weeks.

In fact, I wish open source developers would adhere to hard and fast
schedules less, and focus more on the quality of what they release.
FreeBSD is better about this than many other high-profile projects I
could name.