shopping for a new server

Tim Kellers timothyk at wallnet.com
Thu Aug 25 17:30:36 UTC 2011

Dell 2500 from 10 years back is soon to be very dead in the machine room
at work.  I'm thinking about replacing it with a Rack mount Dell R610
has anyone used that and has compatibility issues or successes?  I'll be
using a RAID 5 setup and PERC version is up to 6i in this box, any
issues with this PERC?  The specs indicate R610 will way outperform the
old 2500.  The 2500 currently supports mail (sendmail), web, db (pgsql
and mysql), samba, etc.

I Googled and found a bunch of somewhat older posts that showed some NIC
issues and some PERC issues but it looked like most issues had been
corrected by the beginning of 2011.  Does anyone have any recent
duccess/failure stories?

I'd probably be looking to run 8.2 RELEASE AMD or 9.0 AMD when it
becomes release.

Thanks

Tim