PCI TV card with bktr kernel device

Bernt Hansson bah at bananmonarki.se
Thu Aug 25 09:59:31 UTC 2011

2011-08-25 09:44, Polytropon skrev:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:59:46 +0200, Bernt Hansson wrote:
>> The only thing I have is bktr_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf.
>
> I've seen that the modules have been successfully built, so I
> did assume that _everything_ still works. But modules seem to
> be quite different from what is required to get things working
> directly inside the kernel, such as the "Giant" locking mechanism
> which doesn't seem to be supported anymore (according to the
> compiler error messages).
>
> The only thing I'm not sure is:
>
> How am I supposed to change former kernel options such as
>
> 	options		BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT=BROOKTREE_PAL

I have never used that setting and where I live it's PAL/*

> in order to define how the card works, as I need PAL support
> and not NTSC. Is there a mechanism to change this for the
> module? Or per loader tunable, or a sysctl?

This is from my dmesg:

pci3: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib3
pci3: <multimedia, audio> at device 6.0 (no driver attached)
bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xfdcff000-0xfdcfffff irq 21 at device 7.0 on
pci3
bktr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
bktr0: [ITHREAD]
bktr0: Leadtek Winfast TV 2000, Philips FR1236 NTSC FM tuner.
pci3: <multimedia> at device 7.1 (no driver attached)

sysctl -a | grep hw.bt848
hw.bt848.slow_msp_audio: -1
hw.bt848.format: -1
hw.bt848.reverse_mute: -1
hw.bt848.tuner: -1
hw.bt848.card: -1

Never changed those settings because I don't know what they mean.

> Or maybe I don't even need that setting, as it is the default?
> Just like A4 is the default paper size? :-)

Not impossible. When I start mplayer it understand PAL.