Printing from Opera

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Aug 24 15:09:44 UTC 2011

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 06:55:34 -0400, Rod Person wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:58:41 +0200
> Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> > My question to the list now:
> >
> > Did anybody get Opera working with CUPS or (better)
> > without it? Maybe did I miss something important at
> > installation time?
> >

> I've been printing from Opera using this method
> http://www.opera.com/support/kb/view/481/

Which version of Opera are you using? I have 11.50/1047
installed; the page you refered to states:

	Opera for Linux uses Qt to handle the printing.
	Qt looks in /etc/printcap for available printers,
	so make sure your printers are listed there.

Printers are listed, but they don't appear in the
"Printers" list. Then:

	If you are having problems printing, try adding
	a custom printer under the "Options" tab in
	File > Print.

This is not possible, as the Options tab doesn't have
any function to add a printer. This is what it looks
like:

	+-------------- Print --------------+
	|                 _________         |
	|_Destination____| Options |________|
	|                                   |
	| Paper and Orientation             |
	| A4 (210 x 297 mm)              v  |
	| Portrait                       v  |
	|                                   |
	| Scale print to            100% v  |
	| [J] Fit to paper width            |
	|                                   |
	| [ ] Print page background         |
	| [ ] Print headers and footers     |
	|                                   |
	| Color                             |
	|   ( ) Print in color if available |
	|   (o) Print in grayscale          |
	|                                   |
	| Page margins (in centimeters)     |
	|   Top   1.00       Bottom  1.00   |
	|   Left  1.00       Right   1.00   |
	|___________________________________|
	|                                   |
	|   [ Print]  [ Cancel ]  [ Apply ] |
	+-----------------------------------+

There is no means to add a printer.

I also checked the Registry... erm... the Configuration
editor "opera:config", with the search string "print".
Even though the key "PrinterName" is defined as $PRINTER,
which points to "Laserjet" (the default printer queue
that all other programs can use too), there is no command
that could be entered (like "lpr -PLaserjet"), sonsisting
of a printer program and a parameter, as described in the
article mentioned on top.

> Since you have a good printer that doesn't need a CUPS you probably can
> skip that and just make sure tp have the correct /etc/printcap

I have a correct /etc/rintcap for more than 20 years now,
and I never encountered such a situation that cannot be
explained or understood... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany