How to allow Amanda to install as operator?

Morse, Richard E.MGH REMORSE at PARTNERS.ORG
Tue Aug 23 19:50:10 UTC 2011

Hi! I'm trying to upgrade my Amanda installation from a v2.6 to v3.2 via ports. I had configured Amanda previously to be installed as the user `operator`. The upgraded version wants to install as the user `amanda`; however this presents all kinds of problems:
	- the `amanda` user has no home directory, one is needed to put the access file in
	- I already have all of the directories set up as owned by operator
	- I have a number of clients that are all set up to allow operator to access them, but not "amanda".

I have tried setting AMANDA_USER and AMANDA_GROUP to be `operator`, but this then complains that `operator` is not found in `/usr/ports/GIDs` and `/usr/ports/UIDs`. Since these are part of the base system, I don't want to mess with them, so I groveled through the .mk files, and determined that I should be able to provide my own user and group files by setting the GID_FILES and UID_FILES environment variable.

I tried this. I created the necessary files (greping out the data from /etc/passwd and /etc/group), put them in the same directory as GIDs and UIDs, and ran the make command:

	GID_FILES="/usr/ports/OP_GROUP" UID_FILES="/usr/ports/OP_USER" AMANDA_USER="operator" AMANDA_GROUP="operator" make install

This runs along for a while, then dies with the note:

	** /usr/ports/OP_GROUP doesn't exist. Exiting.
	*** Error code 1

If I do a `less /usr/ports/OP_GROUP` (copying exactly from the error message), I can see the file I created just fine.

Is there something that I'm missing? How am I supposed to install a port as a user that already exists? Why doesn't make see that the file exists?

Thanks,
Ricky

dispose of the e-mail.