A quality operating system

Alessandro Spinella a.spinella at rfc1925.net
Tue Aug 23 09:12:21 UTC 2011

On 08/23/11 10:24, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:13:32 -0500, Jorge Biquez wrote:
>> Seriously I would like to see or hear about the comparison chart
>> between all OSs. And a question arrive to my mind... if for some
>> reason, I know it is impossible, but if for some reason FreeBSD would
>> stop existing... serious users of FreeBSD, what would be your next OS? Why?
>
> Surely one of the other BSDs (OpenBSD as 1st choice, NetBSD as
> second), maybe some of the more "UNIX-like" Linusi (the "too
> complicated" ones, maybe those relying on source), and of course
> Solaris and Mac OS X are worth mentioning here. Those systems
> could be productive and good to maintain if FreeBSD should ever
> disappear.

ciao,

i reference to rule #10 of RFC1925 that states :

<<One size never fit all>>

from my point of view it is a truth also in OS, not only in networking.

as long as my goal is a videogame station the "quality" OS maybe very
different from the one i will consider "qualitative" for a webfarm.

in short the goal drives choice, and from my experience (over 35 years
in IT) FreeBSD is the best-fit for use in internetworking, partially due
to his resilence, partially for the overall quality of the kernel,
partially for the ease-of-use, the ease-to-understood, open-source
software availability and more "minor" properties

it is relatively simple to build and maintain a webfarm with FreeBSD as
the *exclusive* OS without fear of "hackers", spam, virus and almost all
internet-zoo.

in short : i *love* FreeBSD, if ever it will die feel there are more and
more volunteers to bulid a new one that will honour the "twelve
networking rules"

cheers

Alessandro