A quality operating system

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 01:05:43 UTC 2011

> All of this adds up to a quality operating system in theory that does
> not translate into quality in reality.
>
> You alienate users and place the burden upon them to sort through your
> mess, then sneer at them.
>
> You alienate business, professional and artistic users with your
> insistence on hobbyism. These people have full lives; 48 hour sessions
> of trying to configure audio drivers, network cards or drive arrays
> are not in their interest.
>
> Even when you get big parts of the operating system correct, it's the
> thousand little details that have been forgotten, ignored or snootily
> written off that add up to many hours of frustration for the end user.
> This is not necessary frustration, and they get nothing out of it. It
> seems to exist because of the emotional and social attitudes of the
> FreeBSD team.
>

> Sadly, Ron is right. FreeBSD is not right for us, or any others who
> care about using an operating system as a means to an end. FreeBSD is
> a hobby and you have to use it because you like using it for the
> purpose of using it, and anything else will be incidental.

1)  Is someone pointing a gun to you and forcing you to use FreeBSD?

2)  A system is as good as its users, and you my friend "might not be
an adequate user"

3)  If you don't like it Don't Use it!

4) Many of your opinions are just that opinions and not facts.  They
remind me of the saying "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"
:)

5)  The community is excellent and very helpful.  Sure some questions
might go unanswered, but in any list you have all kinds of folks,
folks that are very helpful and folks who tell you to READ and find
out for yourself.  Also, if you want additional support you may also
pay for it.  There is no such thing as a "Free Lunch".  There are
several BSD certification courses you may take and be a true power
user.

6)  Every system out there has its advantages & disadvantages.  You
don't have to come & insult the people who run/use FreeBSD just
because it does not suit your tastes.

7)  For the audio drivers & network cards part, Have you asked about
it?  Have you done some work?  Have you run
$ su -
passwd
# kldload snd_driver
# cat /dev/sndstat

# ifconfig -a
and check which interfaces are shown and have tried to prompt network
with one of them?
Do you expect everything to be done for you like other systems who
have spoiled you?  You can compare FreeBSD to other systems and it has
been shown that it is a "Giant among Giants".  If you wanted some
handholding along they way, you could have tried PC-BSD.

8)  I have used many systems, and I have had some difficulties with
FreeBSD.  Is it FreeBSD's fault?  No of course not!  I have found help
from many caring users and fixed many of them.  I shot myself in the
foot several times and complained to myself why does FreeBSD seem too
hard?  It is what you make of it.  You have to invest some time, and
don't expect things to just happen.

9)  If you came across with a different tone or perspective, then you
could get more positive feedback.  You are attacking a community that
does not OWE you anything.  You could have made some suggestions but
in a friendly way not like you did.

10)  Have a nice day and enjoy your OS of choice be it whatever it is.

Regards,

Antonio

Happy FreeBSD user.