A quality operating system

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Sat Aug 20 20:04:44 UTC 2011

--As of August 20, 2011 12:12:00 PM -0500, Dave Pooser is alleged to have
said:

> 3) Updates are a mess. It's cool that I *can* compile a new kernel, but
> that I *have* to is ridiculous. Updating a server should not be more
> difficult than "yum update" -- full stop.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Oh, how I *wish* it was that easy on a Linux box...  Have you ever actually
tried to update RedHat from one version to another?

It can't be done.  No support.  Oh, I suppose you could install everything
manually, but if you miss something and break it, that's your problem.  The
only recommended way is 'wipe, reinstall, copy everything in from backup.'

Having to do that at work made me miss freebsd-update...

(And if you are complaining about user-land programs: Try portmanager.  Or
one of the other fine tools in the ports system.)

(Oh, and as for comparing the Handbook with RedHat's knowledge base...
I'll admit there are flaws in the Handbook.  But the knowledge base shows
the distinct impressions of being run through marketing.  There's quite a
lot of 'And then you can use this shiny feature!' without any 'To
configure, read the following:'.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.