new to os

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Thu Aug 18 23:56:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 03:18:09PM -0700, scott mcclellan wrote:

> I'm looking to try something different with my machine (or maybe I'm
> going through a midlife crisis).
>
> Currently run Wimdows (point and click), and would like to gravitate
> back to DOS (this is a thing of the ancient past for me 30 years -
> on a TRS-80). I know remember extremely little of OS vernacular.
>
> Am I biting off more than I can chew, or is there a OS commands for
> dummies out there, or does FreeBSD have such a critter that one can
> go through.
>
> I'll pour through the FAQ and got hrough the online manuals for now.
> But it all seems greek. Can someone point me in a diresction to
> degreek this stuff for me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott McClellan

I'll give you one tip for free: keep your line length to less than 80
chars when posting to a unix list, say 74.

As for where to start, I'd probably start by buying a book or two.

"Unix in a Nutshell" pub. O'Reilly comes to mind. That should
familiarise yourself with most of the common commands.

If you decide to use FreeBSD then the freely available Handbook is a
must read:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Any questions that can't be answered by Googling, then post here.

Welcome to FreeBSD!

Regards,

--

 Frank