How much disk space required for make release?

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Tue Aug 16 19:57:12 UTC 2011

According to my notes...

You will need approximately 600MB of storage space available on the filesystem
that `/usr/src' resides on.

Meanwhile, you'll need an additional 3GB (approximately) of storage space
available on the filesystem that `/usr/release' resides on.

And further still, you'll need an additional 600MB of storage space for the
`/usr/obj' directory.

So if all three directories (`/usr/src', `/usr/obj', and `/usr/release') live on
the same filesystem, you'll need approximately 4.2GB of free space to build a
FreeBSD release (including the source).

Please note however, that this estimate is low because I never compile a release
with the default options.

I usually use the following:

        make release CHROOTDIR=/usr/release EXTSRCDIR=/usr/src KERNELS_BASE= \
                NODOC=YES NO_FLOPPIES=YES NOCDROM=YES NOPORTS=YES

The above options _significantly_ reduce the size of disk space required to
build the release.
--
Devin