devel/pear doesn't install (segfault)

Jeff Tipton jeff.t at mail.com
Tue Aug 16 13:09:59 UTC 2011

devel/pear doesn't install (segfault)

Hi all,

When I try to install pear from ports on my server, it spits out a whole
bunch of messages like:

Preparing installer..................
PHP Deprecated:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is
deprecated in /go-pear/PEAR/Config.php on line 650
(...)
PHP Deprecated:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is
deprecated in /go-pear/PEAR/Registry.php on line 322
(...)
PHP Deprecated:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is
deprecated in /go-pear/PEAR/Command.php on line 137
(...)
PHP Warning:  date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone
settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the
date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those
methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely
misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'UTC/0.0/no
DST' instead in /go-pear/PEAR/Registry.php on line 1012
(...)

And then ends up like this:

PHP Deprecated:  Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in
/go-pear/PEAR/DependencyDB.php on line 583
install ok: channel://pear.php.net/Console_Getopt-1.2.3
PHP Deprecated:  Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in
/go-pear/PEAR/Registry.php on line 1140
PHP Deprecated:  Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in
/go-pear/PEAR/Registry.php on line 1144
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
*** Error code 139

Stop in /basejail/usr/ports/devel/pear.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /basejail/usr/ports/devel/pear.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa
/tmp/portinstall20110816-14452-1w1lpn0-0 env make reinstall
** Fix the installation problem and try again.
** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
     ! devel/pear    (install error)

First, beause the messages start with "PHP Deprecated", I thought it's
about my php being outdated. Some extensions really were, so I upgraded
them, but nothing changed.

I found, on FreeBSD Forums, a thread about "PHP Deprecated" messages,
and there the issue was to set open_basedir properly in php.ini. But
mine was not set (commented out) -- so, default value (/tmp) which, as
they say, doesn't cause problems.

Then I tried to install pear on my FreeBSD 8.2 desktop, it again printed
all the "PHP Deprecated" messages, but it installed and I even could do
"pear upgrade PEAR".

Then I tried to install pear from 7-stable packages on my server, pear
installed but when I tried to upgrade PEAR:

#pear upgrade PEAR
Error getting channel info from pear.php.net: No cached content
available for "http://pear.php.net/rest/p/packages.xml"
Nothing to upgrade
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
#
The server is an ezjail on 7.4-RELEASE.

Any ideas of how to get pear installed? Thanks.