Installing and using wine on amd64

Christian Barthel bc at nyx.user-mode.org
Mon Aug 15 07:37:11 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 10:27:08PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> In order to restore functionality that my old system provided
> almost 10 years ago (I checked when I bought it!), I'm currently
> trying to get wine working. Sadly, its Makefile states:
>
> 	ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=i386
>
> I've done some research and found lots of posts several years
> old that suggest that using wine on AMD64 is not possible or
> requires binary packages that don't exist, and even if one can
> install it, it doesn't run.
>
> Has this situation improved meanwhile? Does anyone have a
> recipe on how to get wine running?
>
> Current system is 8.2-STABLE/amd64. Should I better re-install
> everything (Intel Core2 4300 1.80GHz / 1799.81-MHz K8-class CPU
> here, and 2 GB RAM, that's why the AMD64 choice) and use i386
> instead?

I don't understand why you have chosen AMD64? You only have 2 GB memory,
which can be adressed under i386 too and you can avoid a lot of
problems.

Today, I am not quite sure about AMD64 because with PAE (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension#FreeBSD),
you have a far better opportunity to address memory above 4 GB.

All in all, your system, your rules ;)