dtrace function arguments

Ashley Williams ashley.wil at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 04:11:49 UTC 2011

I'm looking for a faster way to get more verbose information about
dtrace function arguments.

For example.

Say, I want to know more about the funciton
syscall:freebsd32:connect:return.  I'd start off by doing a listing:

# dtrace -lvf connect

-----snip-------

43723    syscall         freebsd32                           connect return

        Probe Description Attributes
                Identifier Names: Private
                Data Semantics:   Private
                Dependency Class: Unknown

        Argument Attributes
                Identifier Names: Private
                Data Semantics:   Private
                Dependency Class: ISA

        Argument Types
                args[0]: int
                args[1]: caddr_t
                args[2]: int

>From the output of the listing, I can see quite clearly there are
three arguments for this function - int, caddr_t, int; but I can't see
from this output what these refer to.
I could probably find the answer by digging through header files and
source code, but this isn't exactly efficient. Is there an easier way
to find more information about functions (not specifically this one)?